Sunday, January 27, 2013

Create YourSelf Identity Conference-Day 1

Day 1 of Create YourSelf Identity Conference was absolutely amazing and made me pumped for day 2! Our speaker for the conference was Dr. Maura Cullen and words cannot begin to describe how inspiring and moving she is as a speaker. She was the perfect person for this occasion, and I know for a fact that not one person left without getting something out of this conference to help them become a better them!

 Day 1 was a presentation on varying topics from diversity to realizing our own identity. She showed us that we have to be our best selves because if we take out or alter any piece of our identity to "fit in," whether it be our race, age, gender or even sexual orientation we will not truly be ourselves. We have to learn to embrace, accept and love ourselves so we can go out in the world and make it a better place for all!

After the presentation, we were broken up into smaller groups (based off our application answers) so we could get to know one another and prepare ourselves for the next full day of the conference. I knew as soon as I met my group this conference was going to be life changing. We all opened up with one another and learned as much as we could. It was amazing to hear everyone's life experiences and to see all they went through to get where they are today. This group experience really showed me that we are all different but yet so similar at the same time. We all come from different places and go through different experiences but we are all batting for the same home run. This was only day 1 and I did not think day 2 could top this, but Dr. Cullen came and made an impact on my life I will, can and never want to forget!

Tyler and I heading to Day 1 of Create YourSelf Identity Conference


-Ti'a enjoying Day 1 of Create YourSelf Identity Conference until Day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment